Years later our two good friends came over for dinner in our humble Nashville home. We had these lovely Pier One-looking (I said looking) bamboo candles in our guest room that gave the impression as if they are sitting peacefully ... well, actually on a pier. :-) When I lit them earlier that evening, I grinned at how incredibly appealing they are. After dinner, dessert, and listening to one of those friends beautifully rip up my highly neglected ivory keys, we decided to watch a show on television. I had seen this one, and, as a pit stop to the bathroom was in order anyway, I contemplated blowing out those candles.
At first, I decided not to do it – because they still smelled pretty.
. . . but then I realized the bamboo post on end was actually on fire.
I mean ... the whole thing.
Yeah. Beautiful, huh? Flames lapped high right next to my collection of wonderful antique children's books (I call them antique because they were mine as a child). As you know, I had peeked in the open doorway trying to decide whether or not I really wanted to snuff them out when, in a flash, I was back with the fire extinguisher, and in one squirt made the guest room look like Ansel Adams had had an "off" day on one of his photo shoots.
Good thing I checked; I almost didn't. And yes, my books, room, and general corner of the neighbourhood were still intact so I did not "pay for it" for years – this time. So why share my idiocy with the world?